May 7, 2011

Road Trip up the California Coast!

I love California, especially our beautiful coast!  Last weekend we decided to head up the coast.  Our destination was the "Remnants of the Past" show in Nipomo.  We attended this show a year ago and found some interesting treasures ~ loved the dealers and their creative displays, so we decided to go again. I've been a facebook friend of Judy Watkins, and I have looked forward to checking out her show again this year.  So, Friday morning we took off and enjoyed our beautiful sunny weather, stopping in Summerland, Los Alamos, and Santa Maria.  The next morning is the Remants show and I can't wait! 
Wow!  What a beautiful setting for a show, centered around a big old barn! 

Eagerly waiting to get into the big show!
I found some great treasures, ran into some old friends, and got inspired.  I think that's what I love the most about traveling - seeing some new ideas, learning something new, and getting motivated.   I love getting inspired by others who are just as addicted to antiques as I am.  

Lisa, from Blue Canoe, Judy, the show promoter and Me

We even ran into some old high school friends like Cathy and  Crissy who were there with
Crissy's Mom and her sister,  Penny!
Tim, from Blue Canoe and Don


But, of course the main goal is to find awesome antiques for our customers at Down Home!   I bought some fabulous vintage beach canvas sun screens, a wonderful airplane whirligig, and some antique green shutters with old green paint!  Plus a few other odds and ends!  We had a great time ~ Congratulations to Judy on the success of her show!  Some of the great design ideas and funky pieces we saw are below!




Onward and upward!  We decided that we were already half way to Alameda, so why not head to the Alameda Flea Market.  I've always wanted to go, but this would be my first time!!!  And I already told you how I love "firsts!" I was excited!  Got a good night's sleep and then up before sunlight to see what treasures we could find in Alameda!!! First of all, it's a beautiful setting - right on the ocean with views of the ships bringing in containers and the skyline of San Francisco!  With the scenery, I'm already having a good time!  So off and running, but which way should we go first??  The first purchase of the day was some great architectural tin finials! Then, a carved redwood bear that would look great in our lodge room at Down Home!  And, I found a wonderful canvas covered leather trunk belonging to Col. Kramer - I'm thinkin' civil war era. I shopped the whole market twice and came away with a great load of treasures!



Look at my fabulous finds!

I hate to leave, but we have a long ride home, so we load up and head south!  We get to Cambria and decide to make a quick antique run through the Cambria antique stores, and then we take a walk on Moonstone Beach - I love that beach!!! 
A bag full of beautiful driftwood!

Don and me at Moonstone Beach

I love collecting shells too so I had fun combing the beach for a few washed up treasures and some driftwood!  And, then we head back to Southern California with a truck full of antiques and some fun memories!
xo ~ Peggy

1 comment:

  1. Look's like it was a lot of FUN. And the weather looke great Thanks for sharing the photos of the show.......Julian

    ReplyDelete