May 30, 2011

Look for the Moon!

I love quotes.  One of my favorites is,  "The barn burnt down, now I can see the moon." 


I started collecting "moon" oil paintings as a reminder to myself!


I heard it somewhere, but never knew the origin.  So I googled it.  It is actually a haiku and was written by Mizuta Masahide, a samurai in the Zeze domain of Ohmi Province.  He was a disciple of the famous poet Basho.  As the story goes, Masahide's house was burnt down and so he wrote this famous poem, one of which Basho highly praised.  You can imagine how exciting it would be to get 2 thumbs up from Basho.  The amazing thing is that Masahide wrote this haiku in 1688 and I think it still speaks volumns today, and in just 10 little words!  The barn can represent all sorts of things in a person's life.  I think of the barn as any idea, dream, person, plan, hope, etc.  And then the "burnt down" part is what life does to some of our dreams, etc.  Just when we think things are going smooth, or we have it figured out...poof...it's as if it goes up in flames!  So, what do we do when life burns down "your barn?" Sit there and lament about how something didn't work, how we failed, how we messed up, how someone betrayed you, whatever the case may be... Not me!  So, thats "the moon."  You look for the moon.  I gather that Masahide was Buddist, but from my Christian point of view, I would think of the moon as my blessings!  If we all counted our blessings instead of our disappointments, wouldn't life be so much more joyful?  I know there are alot of horrible experiences and heartbreaks in the world and it's hard to move on, but we weren't put on this Earth to live in the past and worry about the past.  How will staring at a pile of embers help yourself or anyone else.  Nope, I just brush off the soot, pray alot, and go to plan B!  And, I look for the moon!

Now,  I can see the moon!

No comments:

Post a Comment