July 16, 2011

Summer fun at Down Home!

I love summer!!!  I love the sun!!  I always have.  I'm sure my skin would be better off had I not sizzled in the sun with baby oil all those days as a teenager at Newport Beach, but those are happy memories. Even earlier than those Newport Beach summer memories, are days spent at Hart Park here in Orange.  As a child, I learned to swim at Hart Park. My twin sister, Patty and I would spend hours swimming at the plunge.  We'd get there when it opened and stay until it closed, coming home burnt, and with clorine clouded vision!  Yeah, good times!  Even now, I tell myself to stay out of the sun, but I worship it.  These days, I do know the importance of sun screen!!!   There's nothing better than a raft, my pool, and a good book.  Ok, how often does that happen???  Not often enough, but when it does... it's a taste of heaven!  Even better is time spent in the backyard with my family.  My three daughters, Ayla, Mollee, and Tessa were little fish and we had lots of swim parties with lots of kids all summer long! And today, we still get together and hang out in the pool.  Yesterday, I spent the day in the pool with my 3 year old grandbaby, Finley.  She's adorable, smart, creative, and talks non-stop! She's definitely a fun person to hang out with!  We had fun coming up with games like "the bumpy bridge" and swimming across the pool from one set of steps to another.  Also we had our new mermaid doll to add tons of fun to our pool time!  And speaking of mermaids, after swimming Finley wanted to watch "Little Mermaid, and it never occured to me before, but Ariel is a collector!!! (Remember that early scene where she's longing to be up in the sun, and she sings..."I've got gadgets and gizmos a plenty, I've got whozits and whatzits galore, You want thingamabobs, I've got twenty, But who cares? No big deal, I want more....)  Yeah, you all need to watch it again- she's one of us - addicted to treasures!   So, even when relaxing, my mind wanders back to Down Home and antiques! Ariel would love Down Home because the store is full of beach related pieces that remind us of summer and the sun....like striped canvas fabric, sand toys, lobster buoys, glass floats, and vintage ice chests.  We even have sea glass!  We have nautical pieces like anchors, ship lanterns, and sea chests.  Of course, there are some wonderful patriotic pieces like vintage flags, postcards, and presidential pieces.  Check out our suitcases and souveniers, like pennants and postcards that are related to vacations and happy memories of road trips! So, I hope you all get a chance to enjoy the sunshine this summer at some wonderful beach destination, but if you want a bit of summer fun close to home without the threat of sunburn, come on in and visit us at Down Home!

Here's a sneak peek of summer at Down Home...Enjoy!


If you can't wait to see more items than come on into Down Home and we'd be happy to help you with all your summer fun needs!

xo ~ Peggy

No comments:

Post a Comment